Using photos taken with Virtual Props, students will create comics in which they incorporate their forced perspective photos to tell a tale of size shifting (e.g., shrinking and growing or both).
Size Wise Activity 6: Create a Comic about Size Shifting
Expected Activity Time
Create a Comic (40-80 minutes)
Materials and Prep
- Create a Comic Student Sheet
- iPad with Size Wise for each group of 3-4 students
- Wifi access to send work to other iPads or online project space
- Prep: Make sure students have access to pictures they have taken in previous sessions.
Using pictures that you create with Virtual Props, create a comic with a story centered on the size relationships you see.
- Try some of the introductory activities before diving into creating a comic.
- Once they are familiar with the app, they will think about a story that they can tell by creating a comic book.
- Maybe their character (classmate, or friend) is shrinking in the story so they can fit into a small secret space. Maybe they’re growing so they can defeat Godzilla. It’s up to the students!
- Notice that the Virtual Prop library has a few themed backgrounds (e.g., jungle scenes) to choose from that they can or they can be mashed up to tell a new story.
- When they’re done, they will share their comics!
Prompt students to creatively embed their Size Wise photos and the concepts they’ve explored through previous activities into their stories.
- What stories can you tell with the Virtual Props that relate to size changes?
- How did this change how you looked at the math behind the photos you have taken?
Extensions and Inquiring Further
Share Your Trick: Have students read their classmates’ comics and select a photo they find interesting. Have them create a diagram which describes how they think the shot was set up and the math behind it. Students should consider: Did the diagram of your classmate’s picture relate to the things you did to create your own pictures? How so? Can you write up the trick using math so someone else can make it?
Create a Comic about Size Shifting
Using photos taken with Virtual Props, write and put together a comic book to tell a story of size shifting.
- Think about a story that you can tell by creating a comic book using photos you have created in the Size Wise app or new photos you would like to create.
- Browse through the Virtual Prop Library and think about how the different props might suggest a story of shrinking or growing. Notice that the Virtual Prop Library has a few related backgrounds that you can choose as the setting for your story, or you can mash them up. It is up to you!
- When you’re done, share your comic with your classmates.
After you finish your comic, consider: What sorts of mathematical relationships were involved in your creation of this comic? Did you notice any ratios involved? Be specific!
|In Gallery Mode, you will use:
||To generate a template to tell their stories where they can insert photos they have taken, speech bubbles, subtext, and even ratios.
||To write ratios that they see on the photos they took.
|All other features in Camera Mode if they take new pictures.
Post a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.