In this lesson students explore their play through the use of the app.
1.1 — Motion: Playing Catch – Part I
Using the motion lens students will:
- Record a performance using the activity templates.
- Create a path.
- Add height or mass.
- Adjust ground height.
- Add high and low speed stickers.
Expected Activity Time
- Total Activity Time: 45 minutes
- Introduction: 10 minutes
- Record a video: 30 minutes
- Discussion: 5 minutes
Materials and Prep
- Fun props to create videos
- iPad with the Playground Physics app
- Projector with iPad adaptor (optional)
- Worksheet: Motion: Fun with Motion
Introduction (10 minutes)
- Tell students that they are going to explore the motions lens of the app by making a number of different videos that they find fun and interesting.
- Share with students the worksheet Motion: Fun with Motion and have them read through the list of activities ideas with their group. Each group should add to the list by suggesting five other activities they might want to explore when thinking about motion. Remind students to be creative but that they also need to have on hand any materials they might need to enact their ideas.
- All groups should also plan to record a video of two students playing catch so that they will have it for the upcoming lessons. Students should then star three additional activities that they plan to record while outside. Remind students they can add to their plan once outside and that they are not limited by the list they created.
- Before heading outside, remind students of the tips for recording videos with Playground Physics that they learned from the Bingo activity (see Lesson 0.2 – Getting Started: Bingo), to be respectful of other groups while outside, be safe with the activities they choose to explore, and to have fun!
Record Videos (30 minutes)
- While outside there is no need to scaffold any activities since this engagement is important for setting up later lessons.
- Dissecting and analyzing the performances can be done on the playground or back in the classroom. Have students use the motion lens to trace a path, enter height, explore data and graphs, and add high and low speed stickers.
Discussion (5 minutes)
- Once back in the classroom have each group share what their favorite type of motion was that they recorded & what they noticed or thought was interesting about exploring it through the use of the Playground Physics app.
- If time allows, students can also connect their iPads to a projector and share one of the videos they created with the class.
- Remember to check the “Parking Lot” of questions at the end of the class period. Remove any questions that have been answered and have students add any new questions that may have come up.
Post a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.