In this lesson, students get to explore their play through the use of the app.
3.2 — Energy: Fun With Energy
Using the energy lens students will:
- Record a performance using the activity templates.
- Create a path.
- Add height and mass.
- Adjust ground height.
- Add kinetic and potential energy stickers.
Expected Activity Time
- Total Activity Time: 45 minutes
- Introduction: 15 minutes
- Investigation: 15 minutes
- Discussion: 15 minutes
Materials and Prep
- Fun props to create videos
- iPad with the Playground Physics app
- Projector with iPad adaptor (optional)
- Worksheet: Energy: Fun with Physics
Introduction: 10 minutes
- Tell students that they are going to get a chance to explore the energy lens of the app by making a number of different videos that they find fun and interesting.
- Share with students the worksheet Energy: Fun with Physics and have them read through the list of activity ideas with their group. Each group should add to the list by suggesting five other activity ideas they might want to explore when thinking about energy. Remind students to be creative but that they also need to have any materials they might need to enact their ideas on hand.
- All groups should also plan to record a video of a student swinging so that they will have it for the upcoming lessons. (If students do not have access to a swing set, they can make and film a pendulum instead.) Students should then star three additional activities that they plan to record while outside. Remind students they can add to their plan once outside and that they are not limited by this list.
- Before heading outside, remind students of the tips for recording videos with Playground Physics that they learned from the Bingo activity, to be respectful of other groups while outside, be safe with the activities they choose to explore, and to have fun!
Record Videos: 30 minutes
- While outside there is no need to scaffold any activities since these videos are important set-up for later lessons.
- Dissecting and analyzing of the performances can be done on the playground or back in the classroom. Have students use the energy lens to trace a path, explore data and graphs, and add kinetic and potential energy stickers.
Discussion: 5 minutes
- Once back in the classroom have each group share what their favorite type of activity to explore energy was that they recorded and what they noticed or thought was interesting about exploring it through the use of the Playground Physics app.
- If time allows, students can also connect their iPads to a projector and share one of the videos they created with
- Remember to check the Parking Lot of questions at the end of the class period. Remove any questions that have been answered and have students add any new questions that may have come up.
Post a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.