In this lesson, students revisit the writing they did at the beginning of the unit to add in more details and demonstrate all that they have learned about energy.
3.7 — Energy: Swinging Higher
Note that the Playground Physics app is not required for this lesson.
Materials and Prep
- Worksheet: Energy: Swinging – Part I (Pass back out students’ completed worksheets from the first lesson.)
- Worksheet: Energy: Around the World
Expected Activity Time
- Total Activity Time: 45 minutes
- Introduction: 10 minutes
- Investigation: 20 minutes
- Discussion: 10 minutes
Introduction (10 minutes)
- Remind students that as a class you have been investigating the question “How can I describe the energy involved with swinging?”
- Pass back to students the worksheets that you collected from them during the first lesson, Energy: Swinging – Part I.
- Have students read what they wrote for the definitions of the vocabulary words and the explanation of swinging on their worksheet at the beginning of the lesson.
Investigation (20 minutes)
- Pass out the worksheet Energy: Swinging Higher
- Allow students time to reflect on what they have learned and complete the worksheet.
Discussion (15 minutes)
- Allow students to share how their ideas about the energy involved with swinging have changed since they first wrote their narratives.
- Encourage students to share their reflections about the process of doing science. What do they feel they have learned about doing science from this investigation and through the use of the Playground Physics app?
- As a class, revisit the Parking Lot of questions. Any questions remaining in the parking lot that have been answered can be removed. Any new questions that students have now that they know more can be added to the Parking Lot. Provide post-it notes and allow students to add any questions they have.
- If students want to explore their remaining or new questions in more detail the Science Investigation lesson in the “Getting Started” section can be used to help structure these investigations.
Post a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.